November 16, 2016
Safetica 7.3 was created to reduce cost and deployment time through enhanced server performance, optimized frequent task automation and improved overall user experience.
The most important features in this version are:
- New configuration presets for Auditor, Supervisor and DLP available in the configuration wizard
- Expanded DLP notifications on endpoints
- The ability to define working hours to measure employee productivity only while they are at work
- Improved performance and reduced backup sizes in Safetica Server
- Enhanced data protection for Microsoft Outlook emails
- Redesigned WebSafetica with all-new features
- New update method for old Safetica clients (6.1 and older)
Tip: You can find the full list of enhancements at the end of this article.
New DLP Notifications on Endpoints
If you are using DLP rules to protect sensitive data, the first thing you’ll notice after updating your clients to v7.3 are the new end-user DLP notifications. Based on user feedback, they’ve been redesigned to be less obstructive and easier to understand and interact with.
This change spans from information about restrictions when opening a protected file to popups with detailed information about restrictions. Plus, all notifications now include the name of the category that was applied to the application or file, making it easy to understand the reason for the restriction.
Finally, the new notifications are less demanding and require fewer system resources. This is especially important when using Safetica on terminal servers.
Improved Performance and Reduced Size of Backups
Safetica 7.3 contains optimized backup logic that reduces the size of database backups by up to 80%. This was achieved by omitting data from the backup that can be calculated automatically upon restore, such as database indexes.
The biggest improvement in v7.3 will be obvious to those who run a network with hundreds of clients. The communication between the client and the server, as well as the logic of processing requests on the server, has been optimized.
This results in lower server load and increased capacity with existing configuration. In other words, your slow server will speed up and will be able to serve more clients faster.
To take full advantage of this configuration, switch your Safetica client’s mode of communication to Access via Safetica server under Safetica Console – Maintenance – Client settings – Other settings – Endpoint database connection. New installations have this enabled by default.
New Presets in Configuration Wizard
We’ve added more presets to make it easier for you to use Safetica out-of-the-box. The new presets are:
- Basic – monitors applications, websites, devices and printers
- Advanced – monitors the same as Basic, plus emails, files and network traffic
- Application Control
- Basic – blocks dangerous applications such as keyloggers
- Advanced – blocks applications run from external devices and potentially dangerous applications (file synchronization, virtualization, etc.)
- Web Control
- Basic – blocks dangerous websites, malware, games and pornography
- Advanced – blocks the same as Basic, plus unproductive categories (news, shopping, etc.)
- Blocks cloud drives, unused ports (LPT, infrared) and allows read-only access to CD/DVD and FireWire
The wizard also now prompts the administrator to enter his or her email address. This is then automatically configured to receive important administrative alerts from Safetica – from low disk drive on the server to notifications about new versions.
Support for Non-Working Hours
Another feature that was added based on user feedback is the ability to define working hours to measure employee productivity only while they are at work. This option is available in Maintenance – Client settings and allows you to suspend monitoring and blocking of applications and websites during fully configurable off-hours and holidays.
This configuration applies only to productivity features available in Supervisor. DLP rules, policies and logging are not affected, so your sensitive data continues to be protected even during off hours.
Data Protection for Emails
Now, when you send a sensitive file via Microsoft Outlook to a colleague, it will retain its protection. Previously, you could block certain files from being attached to emails, but also allow attachment if it was within the company domain. The issue is that once you emailed a file to a colleague, it was no longer protected. Now, if you email a sensitive file to a co-worker it keeps it’s protected “tag” therefore retaining its protection.
For example, let’s say you have internal documents that cannot be printed or stored to a USB drive, but your employees need to send them back and forth via email. In the past, you would have blocked the document from being emailed and forced users to share the documents via a secure network drive. With v7.3, you can simply create a policy for the file that prevents unwanted actions. This policy will then carry over even when you send the document via email.
Please note: protection is applied only on computers with the Safetica client installed. Sending a protected document outside of your company, to a computer without Safetica, or opening it in an email client other than Microsoft Outlook will void the protection.
New Approach to Updating Old Safetica Clients
Updating old Safetica clients in your network has been made easier in v7.3. If you have Safetica 6.1 or older installed in your environment, these clients will not connect to the database after updating your Safetica Server to version 7.3. They will, however, retain their settings and continue to protect your data. This functionality protects your server and clients from compatibility issues, allowing you to safely update your network to v7.3 without unwanted side effects, like a bloated database or irregular behavior of endpoints.
New Design and Features in WebSafetica
Safetica 7.3 contains major design and performance updates as well as new features. First, your WebSafetica will update automatically and independently of your Safetica Server. This gives us the flexibility to rapidly develop and deploy new features so you don’t have to wait for a major Safetica update to use these features.
We’ve also revised statistics and user rights management in WebSafetica and added Spanish language to the UI.
Safetica 7.3 change log
- Improved DLP web core and detection performance
- Improved DLP logic
- New DLP UX on endpoints
- Improved tag distribution via application dialogues
- Tag distribution via Microsoft Outlook emails
- Automatic configuration of local GPO policies for BitLocker
- Improved Safetica Server performance to support more endpoints
- Revised backup logic to reduce backup size
- Improved first configuration wizard
- New alerts for cloud upload and emails
- New Working Hours feature in Supervisor
- Information about email client added to email logs
- Removed support for client version 6.1 and older
- Spanish localization for WebSafetica and endpoints
- WebSafetica: improved performance and reduced database size
- WebSafetica: new design
- WebSafetica: new update mechanism
Categorized in: Blog